15 things I like about the Chase Sapphire Preferredcard
Gary Leff at 25. March 2021.
I get paid for the content and the many links on this blog. Citibank is an advertising partner of this site, as are American Express, Chase, Barclays and Capital One. All opinions expressed in this article are my own and have not been reviewed, approved or endorsed by my advertisers. I’m not going to tell you about all the credit cards available, but I will tell you about miles, points and cashback (and the currencies that can be converted into them). The terms and conditions apply to the offers and benefits listed on this page.
Chase has just announced the biggest offer ever for the Chase Sapphire Preferred® card: 80,000 bonus points after spending $4,000 on purchases within the first 3 months of account opening. Plus, you’ll receive up to $50 in statements for your groceries in the first year you open the account.
They’ve only offered 80,000 points once before, which was probably the best offer of 2020. And at that point, they didn’t have an extra $50 balance in their account. That’s a lot of money for a card with a $95 annual fee.
The Chase Sapphire Preferred® card has been the best-in-class card for years for earning valuable reward points. This is the largest public offering for the card to date and, in my opinion, the best offering for a rewards card right now.
Chase generally only approves new customers for this card who have received less than 5 new cards in the past 2 years (so it’s a good idea to get a Chase Sapphire Preferred card first before applying for other cards). To qualify for a bonus on this card, you must not be a current Sapphire cardholder or have received a bonus on a Sapphire card within the past 48 months.
Here are my 15 favorite things about Sapphire Preference.
- The initialbonus of 80,000 points is worth at least $1,000, but I value Chase points at about 1.8 cents per because of the many transfer options. That’s $1,490 (including a $50 credit) if you spend $4,000 with the card within the first 3 months of account opening. In other words, it’s a 37% cost reduction, which is almost unheard of.
- Double points on all travel and mealsThat’s most of my expenses, especially reimbursable expenses – not just flights and not just hotels, but cars and taxis and tolls, plus meals along the way.
The Sapphire Reserve earns 3 points per dollar on travel and dining, but people who have the Reserve often ask me if they should keep this card with a $550 annual fee after the first year, and it’s a more complicated card to get approved after the reader experience.
- Ultimate Rewards MallExtra points for online purchases with access to the Chase Ultimate Rewards Mall, which often offers the most exciting opportunities to earn extra points for online purchases you make anyway.
- Transfer your points to Singapore Airlines, one of the world’s best airlines, with excellent availability in the premium cabin, stopovers for an additional fee even in the one-way cabin, and very competitive faresIt’s really rare that you can use miles from Star Alliance partner programs like United MileagePlus, Aeroplan or LifeMiles for long-haul flights in the premium cabin in Singapore. But Singapore offers participants who use their own miles fantastic rewards on most of its routes. In the past, the sugar class was even regularly available between Europe and Singapore and Australia.
Singapore Airlines is also renewing the cockpits of its most luxurious Airbus A380 commercial aircraft, while other airlines are considering phasing them out. So we expect their luxury class to return.
- Transfer points to United Airlines MileagePlus , which is great because it’s one of the few airlines in the world that doesn’t add fuel surcharges to awards, and also because it gives you access to Star Alliance points availability and easy online booking.
- Transferpoints to Air France, which offers excellent award seat availability in business class and discounts of up to 50% onawards. In my experience, they offer their members many more award seats on Air France and KLM flights than on partner flights. I find very good places between the US and Europe, even on the west coast lines.
Flying Blue offers promotional fares with discounts of 20% to 50%, allowing you to book travel between here and any other city in Europe served by Air France or KLM (depending on the gateway).
- Transferpoints to Hyatt, giving you access to discounts at upscale hotels, discounted suite bonuses, and room upgrades with points.Hyatt allows you to use 60% more points than a standard suite for a free night. And at Hyatt, you can spend 6,000 points per night on a paid rate to get a suite upgrade – when you book. And that award of 6,000 points is the same regardless of the price of the hotel. You can even book a premium suite for extra points.
To redeem points for a suite upgrade, the Hyatt standard or daily rate must be paid and at least one suite must be booked at the resort to redeem points for an upgrade.
Park Hyatt Aviara
- Transfers ofpoints at most airline partners and hotels are direct. This is an excellent solution because this way you do not run the risk of premiums disappearing. And you don’t have to transfer points to the airline or hotel program until you need them, because transfers are fast. (In my experience, Singapore Airlines takes 12 to 24 hours to transfer points, but it can also take up to 36 hours – which is good because Singapore allowed me to transfer awards and then transfer points).
- Using Points for PaymentsThe new Pay Yourself Back tool allows you to use points at 1.25 cents each for eligible card payments.
- Grocery Delivery BenefitReceive unlimited shipping with $0 shipping and lower service charges on orders over $12 for at least one year with any eligible grocery purchase through DoorDash DashPass (activated through December 31, 2021).
- Purchase ProtectionIf you buy something and the seller doesn’t take it back and it happens within 120 days of the purchase, they can refund you, but not up to $500.
When I dropped my Android phone on the sidewalk two months after purchase, I broke the glass screen – and ended up with a $314.99 check.
If the manufacturer’s warranty is one year, it will be extended to the second year. If it takes two years, they’ll take the third. If your equipment breaks down, don’t throw it away, but call Chase and ask your supplier to send you a check.
- If your checked baggage is delayed by more than 6 hours, the airline will reimburse you for purchases of toiletries and clothing up to $100 per day for 5 days (or until your baggage is delivered, whichever is less).
And if your checked or carry-on luggage is permanently damaged or lost, coverage increases to $3,000 per passenger.
- Primary rental coverageWhen you rent a car with this card, you not only get double points (for the trip), but also additional coverage. Most premium cards offer secondary collision coverage, they pay for what your insurance doesn’t cover (which usually means they cover your deductible). Rent an eligible vehicle with Sapphire Preferred basic coverage and cross it off your card, and your insurance company may not even need to know…..
- Protection from travel delaysBuy airline tickets with the card, and if you’re delayed 12 hours or overnight, you can get hotel and meal expenses reimbursed.
You must have a return ticket (the trip cannot be more than one year old) and at least part of the cost must have been charged to your card.
The $500 benefit applies to any dependent spouse (under the age of 22) whose ticket was charged late.
Since the card only offsets a portion of the ticket price, the coverage applies even to award travel. So it’s better to charge award tickets to the Sapphire Preferred card (instead of just doubling the points on airline tickets).
- The card is nice and feels goodThis is not a reason to buy the card, but it is thinner, heavier than what you are used to, and without embossed numbers (and in fact without numbers on the front of the card).
AndyAndy decided to downgrade their Chase Sapphire Preferred card to a regular commission-free Sapphire card (which is no longer available). He tried to get off the map himself. With a soldering iron.
I applied for this card in 2011. Still, it’s a great player, especially as a Chase hub where you can earn accelerated points with Chase cards with no annual fee, then transfer to the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card so those points can then be converted to airline miles and hotel points.
See more of wing
Leave a comment
Editor’s note: Any opinions, analyses, ratings or recommendations expressed in this article are those of the author and have not been reviewed, approved or endorsed by any card issuer. Any comments made in response to this notice are not made by or on behalf of any bank, nor are they reviewed, approved or endorsed by any bank. Citibank, Chase, American Express, Barclays, Capital One or any other advertiser is also not responsible for answering questions. The conditions and restrictions apply to all offers.
frequently asked questions
Why is the Chase Sapphire so good?
Chase Sapphire Privilege Card Review It collects the most valuable loyalty points. It comes with a reasonable annual fee. There are bonus spending categories for travel and meals. And it contains valuable travel protection when I use it to pay for a trip.
Is the Chase Sapphire card worth it?
Benefits of the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card The Chase Sapphire Preferred® card is a great every day option because it earns you valuable Ultimate Rewards category bonuses and offers a number of category bonuses. That’s good. With the Sapphire Preferred card, you get 2 Ultimate Bonus points for every $1 in dining and travel.
What are the benefits of the Chase Sapphire card?
Chase Sapphire Preferred® allows you to transfer your points at a 1:1 ratio to major loyalty programs. With DashPass, DoorDash’s subscription service, you get unlimited shipping for at least a year, with no shipping fees and lower service fees on orders over $12 for eligible groceries.
Feedback,chase sapphire reserve,chase sapphire preferred gas,chase sapphire preferred benefits,chase sapphire preferred fee,chase sapphire preferred metal,chase sapphire preferred credit limit,Privacy settings,How Search works,Chase Bank,American Express,Discover Card,Mastercard,See more,chase sapphire preferred vs reserve,chase sapphire preferred 80,000