Miami is a famous combination of eclectic architecture, tropical climate and miles of pristine beaches, but it is important to choose the right time to visit Miami to make the most of your trip.
The best time to visit Miami is from March to April or November. The weather in these spring and autumn months is ideal to avoid the very hot and humid summer and hurricane season, and you will miss the peak of the high season.
Check out our guide for a complete overview of weather throughout the year, best times to go to the beach, prices or events and festivals in Miami.
When do you have to go to Miami?
When to Miami – suite
- It’s the best time for good weather: The best time in Miami is from December to April. The temperature is lower than in summer, but still warm with a daily increase in comfort in the 70’s (more than 21°C). Winter is a dry season in Miami. Although it rains occasionally, summer and autumn rains are much heavier. In the summer the humidity is high, so it is very hot outside, so people from all over the United States come to Florida in the winter months, while the rest of the country is under a blanket of snow. April and November are the ideal months if you are looking for a bettertime. The daily maximum is 27°C (80°F), with relatively low humidity and precipitation outside the hurricane season.
- The best time for sightseeing: To get the most out of your trip and see all the important sights, come to Miami in November. The weather gets cold and the humidity drops, which means that November is perfect for hiking without getting wet, but most crowds only appear in January, so you don’t have to wait in line everywhere.
- It’s the best time to save money: The best time of year to visit Miami is late summer and September. The weather is very hot and the hurricane season continues, which means that fewer people come to Miami at this time. If you have a choice, September is usually the cheapest option – there’s not much going on in the city and most people try to avoid the weather. If all this sounds like the perfect time to travel, you’ll get the best prices for the cheapest hotels and airline tickets.
- It’s the best time for cruises: Cruises stop all year round in Miami and start and end there. Because it is so close to the Caribbean Sea, it is an ideal place to start your journey around the islands and enjoy the sunshine. The best time to travel is when you want to make one of these cruises – in April and May. Many Caribbean islands have an intense rainy season that starts in June, so choose the best weather in late spring.
Miami Beach’s colorful lifeguard tower is one of our favorite things in Miami.
Best time to visit Miami
- It’s the best time for restaurants: There is an amazing variety of restaurants throughout Miami, with many different communities offering exciting cuisine. If you want to try the best at a reasonable price, at Miami Spice Months in August and September you will find over 200 restaurants offering unique menus at incredibly affordable fixed prices.
- It’s the best time for concerts and music: May is a month in which you can enjoy some great shows and some of the world’s biggest festivals. Miami brings back to life in May with one big festival after another, and there’s something for everyone – from the world’s biggest pop stars to alternative music and the best battles in the Caribbean.
- It’s the best time for families and children: Avoid the hot, humid summer months when you come with children – even spending time on the beach can be difficult in hot weather. Any time between November and May is ideal if you want children to enjoy the beaches of Miami or venture out to the Everglades or amusement parks.
- It’s the best time to avoid the crowd: If you want the city to be all around you, you’re unlucky, because Miami is a popular place all year round. While friends come in winter, many families and foreign visitors come in summer. September – normally the quietest month of – there are no visitors in summer, the weather is still very humid and warm and it is the highlight of the hurricane season. This means that the beaches can be empty, especially on weekdays. The truth is that hurricanes are still relatively rare and it only rains a lot in the afternoon. If you just want to have a few other tourists, September is the right time to do so.
Travel time to Miami
A walk along the Miami River in downtown Miami.
Highest season for tourists (December to March)
While the rest of the US bravely fights cold winters, snow and ice, South Florida bathes in the sun with endless beaches and cocktails on the menu. It is a time when people from all over the United States, Canada and Europe come to Florida to enjoy the tropical climate.
Miami is very busy in January and during the spring holidays in March, when students travel to Miami. Prices for hotels, flights and car rental are usually higher during the season, and there will be more people on sand holidays. Be sure to reserve a table in the restaurant in advance, as they may be sold out prematurely.
Shoulder seasons (April-May and November)
Although these are the last few months for tourism in Miami, April and May are still relatively busy with a large number of events and major music festivals, especially in May.
The prices are a bit better than in the middle of winter and the weather is still quite good, which means that there are still more people at school, but because the children are at school and these months go beyond the traditional holiday period, there are less people.
Low season (June to mid October)
The summer months are the low season in Miami, which can surprise you until you find out what the weather is like.
The summer months in Miami are very hot and sticky. Although the temperature does not rise during the day until the 1980s (about 30°C), it becomes much warmer when the humidity is high and the intensity of the heat can be unpleasant. The locals agree and even named her basketball team after the summer weather!
While the rest of the United States enjoys the summer splendor, tourists flock to other places and Miami is generally quiet, especially in August and September. The start of the hurricane season in these months and the heavy rains coming prevent people from visiting Miami in late summer and early autumn.
Best time to visit Miami Beach
With some of the most famous beaches in the world and almost perfect water conditions, Miami’s beaches are popular with locals and tourists who come to Miami all year round.
If you want to sunbathe on the beach and cool down in the warm waters of the sea, July and August are lovely if you don’t mind the occasional rainstorm.
If you want perfect weather with a minimum of rain, come from March to April or November. The beaches are busier, but there is enough sand for everyone.
Miami’s southern beach, which stretches out on a warm summer morning.
Miami weather during the year
The climate in Miami is tropical, unlike any other part of the United States outside Florida. Temperatures are warm all year round, with average daily temperatures of 23.2 to 31.4°F (73.8 to 88.5°F) per month.
Summers are very hot and humid, and from mid-July to the end of October is the hurricane season with a relatively high risk of storms and rain.
Average monthly temperature and precipitation for Miami
|Average maximum temperature and precipitation
data from U.S. NOAA climate data.
|January||73.8 °F / 23.2 °C||2.09 inch / 53 mm|
|February||74.9 °F / 23.8 °C||2.33 inches / 59 mm|
|Mars||76.3 °F / 24.6 °C||3.00 inches / 76 mm|
|April||79.4 °F / 26.3 °C||3.20 inch / 81 mm|
|May||82.8 °F / 28.2 °C||4.98 inches / 126 mm|
|June||86.5 °F / 30.3 °C||8.27 inch / 210 mm|
|July||88.1 °F / 31.2 °C||4.35 inch / 110 mm|
|August||88.5 °F / 31.4 °S||6.37 inch / 162 mm|
|September||87.0 °F / 30.6 °C||7.88 inch / 200 mm|
|October||83.7 °F / 28.7 °C||4.47 inch / 114 mm|
|November||79.3 °F / 26.3 °C||2.74 inch / 70 mm|
|December||75.7 °F / 24.3 °C||2.05 inch / 52 mm|
Weather in Miami per month
- The weather in Miami in January: January is the coolest month in Miami, with an average daily maximum temperature of 23.2°C (73.8°F). With its tropical climate, Miami’s coolest month remains very pleasant with a nightly minimum of 16.3°C (61.4°F). The dry winter season makes for a pleasant January, although some days in the 1940s can fall to a minimum (5 to 7°C), but don’t worry – Miami has never had snowfall in more than 100 years of records. Average temperature: 67.6 °F / 19.8 °C. Average precipitation: 2.09 inches / 53 mm.
- The weather in Miami in February: The weather in February is remarkably similar to that of January, the days warm up until the end of the month and remain relatively dry. Daily maximum temperatures average 23.8°C (74.9°F), with a few days of rising temperatures in the 1980s (over 27°C), which, with sea water at a reasonable temperature of 24°C (75°F), ensures perfect beach weather. Average temperature: 68.9 °F / 20.5 °C. Average precipitation: 2.33 inches / 59 mm.
- The weather in Miami in March: Temperatures stay warm throughout March as Miami enters the spring season, perhaps the best time of year for the climate. Daily maximum temperatures average 24.6°C (76.3°F), with a few days at the end of the month above 30°C (85°F). The average precipitation is higher than in the winter months, but it remains relatively low and rainy days occur only occasionally. Average temperature: 70.8 °F / 21.6 °S. Average precipitation: 3.00 inches / 76 mm.
- The weather in Miami in April: During the second of Miami’s ideal spring months, temperatures continue to rise steadily in April, the last month with little precipitation for the wet and humid summer months. At night the minimum temperature is 20.7°C and the days are warm and sunny. Average temperature: 74.3 °F / 23.5 °C. Average precipitation: 3.20 inches / 81 mm.
- The weather in Miami in May: May is a month of transition, when Miami turns a warm spring into a warm and humid summer. Rainy days increase to about 1 in 3, and the average daily maximum is 28.2°C (82.8°F). A few days later, at the end of the month, the limit of 32° C (90° F) is exceeded, which gives a feeling of warmth with increasing humidity. Average temperature: 78.4°F / 25.8°C. Average precipitation: 126 mm.
- The weather in Miami in June: In June the temperature gets high and the humidity reaches 66%, making it even hotter. Summer rains are the heaviest of the year – on average it rains every other day, but summer rains are different from winter rains. In the afternoon heavy rain is expected and for the rest of the day everything will be clean. Although it rains four times as much in winter, we get about the same amount of sunshine. Average temperature: 81.7 °F / 27.6 °S. Average precipitation: 8.27 inches / 210 mm.
- The weather in Miami in July: July is still warm and humid, with an average daytime altitude of over 31°C (88°F), and the high humidity makes it very warm during the day. Summer rains weaken in July, but the hurricane season begins and Miami is relatively vulnerable to severe storms and hurricanes that migrate further south in the Caribbean or the Gulf of Mexico. Average temperature: 83.2°F / 28.4°C. Average precipitation: 4.35 inches / 110 mm.
- The weather in Miami in August: August is the warmest and most humid month of the year, which can be very unpleasant in the middle of the day. During the high season, which is characterized by storms and hurricanes, the weather in August is unpredictable and most days are accompanied by tropical showers. Wait half a day a month to break through the 90°F barrier, but with sea temperatures up to 30°F you need regular immersion and air conditioning to cope. The figures may not seem as high as in some parts of the United States, but the humidity means you’re warm and sweaty after a 30-minute walk. Average temperature: 83.6 °F / 28.7 °S. Average precipitation: 6.37 inches / 162 mm.
- The weather in Miami in September: In September it is warm, humid and rainy. Where August passes, it rises and brings with it more intense and frequent rains. Even the nights are warm with an average daily minimum of 25.4°C (77.7°F), so make sure your room is air-conditioned! Although Miami is only hit by severe hurricanes every 6 to 8 years, there are occasional storms in September, so be careful and check the weather forecast. Average temperature: 82.4 °F / 28.0 °C. Average precipitation: 7.88 inches / 200 mm.
- The weather in Miami in October: October is a month of change, in which the heat, humidity and rain of summer gradually disappear. The first half of the month can still be very hot and the afternoons continue, but by the end of October it will be much cooler. The sea temperature remains high at 28°C, so swim to escape the heat. Minimum nighttime temperatures are reduced to an average of 23.7°C (74.7°F) – a lot, but a significant improvement for evening rest and sleep. Average temperature: 79.2 °F / 26.2 °C. Average precipitation: 114 mm.
- The weather in Miami in November: Although the hurricane season officially covers the month of November, the weather has improved considerably since the beginning of the month as the humidity in the summer has disappeared. The average temperature is pleasant (74.4°F) and the precipitation decreases to a normal winter level, with one rainy day every 5 or 6 days. With lots of sunshine and a cool but still warm sea (24° C) the weather in November is about as good as in Miami. Average temperature: 74.4 °F / 23.6 °C. Average precipitation: 2.74 inches / 70 mm.
- The weather in Miami in December: December marks the beginning of the winter season, when precipitation is at its lowest and temperatures are relatively cool, although average daily values remain above 21°C (70°F). December is the driest month of the year in Miami, although from time to time it still rains because of the tropical climate and lower humidity, making it an ideal time to explore the city or other parts of Florida. Average temperature: 70.0 °F / 21.1 °S. Average precipitation: 2.05 inches / 52 mm.
Events and shops in Miami during month
January in Miami
- The Life in Color Music Festival is a very lively music festival in Miami that shows its brilliance in bright colours and literally envelops the crowd in colour and glamour.
- The Miami Beer Festival is an annual event that takes place in early January and features over 200 beers, including many of South Florida’s best local breweries, artisan beers and food delivery vans.
- Miami Marathon – An increasingly popular race in which you can see some of Miami’s best sights as you walk across Miami Beach to Coconut Grove.
February in Miami
- South Beach Food and Wine Festival – A wide range of events ranging from culinary mass shows to small dinners and celebrations with star chefs from Man v Food’s Guy Fieri and Michelin.
- Coconut Grove Art Festival – 3 weekend President’s Day brings together showcases and exhibitions of artists, music, food and many family events.
- The Mega Arts Festival Coral Gables is a free street event where craft beer, live music, fashion shows, dog shows and artists meet!
March in Miami
- Miami Open – The city may prefer the NBA hit or the NFL Dolphins, and David Beckham launches a new football franchise in Miami, but the Miami Open tennis event is as good as tennis outside the 4 majors, and all the famous names come to town.
- Miami Music Week and the Ultra Music Festival are a series of lively events where the music doesn’t seem to stop with the best electronic and dance music, attracting tens of thousands of visitors from all over the world. The famous ultra music festival closes the week.
- Music festival in the Kalle Ocho – Dies. One. This. He’s tall. The big street festival attracts more than a million people and lasts only one day. It is famous for its celebration of Latin American cultures and lively street dance.
- Miami Beach Pride – From the end of March to the first week of April, the annual Miami Beach Pride festival quickly became one of the best in the country, with a parade and major events throughout the city.
- OUTshine Film Festival – The OUTshine Film Festival follows the pride of Miami Beach to promote and celebrate gay and lesbian films, actors and directors.
- Redland Blues and Barbecue Festival – Two very interesting days if you like whims, blues and country music, classic cars and motorcycles. A great event for families with lots of activities for children.
May in Miami
- The Coconut Grove Goombay Festival is an all-day event at the Coconut Grove Peacock Park that focuses on Bahamian-American culture, music, food and more. Big day!
- Rolling Loud Miami is the world’s largest 3-day hip hop festival with all the big names in the industry. It has spread elsewhere in the United States, but the first and largest is in Miami.
- The Haitian Composition Festival is one of the largest outdoor festivals in the United States dedicated to Haitian music and culture, with the participation of a large Haitian community.
- The best of the best concerts is the annual Bayfront Park concert featuring the best music from the Caribbean in genres like pop, reggae, R&B and almost everything else.
- III Eyewear Music Festival – An alternative music festival in Miami’s Wynwood district, featuring some of Miami’s most famous names and local and up-and-coming musicians.
June in Miami
- The American Black Film Festival is the biggest event dedicated to black cinema. Famous actors and directors organise events, award film prizes and occasionally hold important premieres.
July in Miami
- Miami Swimming Week is Miami’s fashion week that focuses on swimwear, shared swimwear and summer collections with runway shows throughout the city.
- The International Mango Festival is the strangest festival in Miami. During the mango festival in the Fairchild Tropical Botanical Garden you can taste mangos, buy mango trees, enjoy mango juice and mango beers. Mango food and drink and live music are not available!
August in Miami
- Spice Months in Miami – This event lasts until August and September. More than 200 restaurants throughout Miami offer great fixed-price menus: $23 for lunch and $39 for dinner.
September in Miami
Storm approaches Miami from the sea during the September hurricane season.
- The Urban Film Festival is a three-day festival that promotes young and future filmmakers and presents a rich cultural content and stimulating debates.
October in Miami
- South Beach Seafood Festival – Miami may not have the seafood reputation of New Orleans or New England, but it’s surrounded by water and snow crab season starts in October, so what are you waiting for?
- The Carnival in Miami is a carnival full of flowers, scandalous feather dresses, fanfares, fairs and family events.
November in Miami
- The Miami Harvest Festival is a big fair with everything you can imagine – there are rides, vintage car shows, a ridiculous amount of delicious food and even a chance to visit Santa Claus, for whom the Christmas countdown starts early.
December in Miami
- Art Basel Miami Beach is a major international exhibition that brings together contemporary artists from North America and around the world to show their work and creativity. There are many related events and festivals to see!
- Miami Arts and Heritage Months – This festival lasts 2 full months and covers the months of December and January. Dozens of musical, artistic and cultural events take place in Miami’s vibrant neighborhoods, including Historic Overtown, Little Haiti, Little Havana and Coco Grove.
cheapest time to go to miami,traveling to miami in june,miami in july,is it safe to visit miami in september,miami in the winter,miami in april,what season is january in singapore,june weather miami,is miami good for a holiday,miami in november 2020,november in miami,miami in december beach weather,is miami hot in december,miami weather in march,bahamas weather january,miami in october,mexico weather january,when is spring break in miami,miami in june,december miami weather,the points guy miami,the confidante miami bikes,the confidante miami beach renovation,the confidante miami beach reviews,1 hotel or edition miami,bonvoy hotels miami beach,worst time to visit miami,best time to go to miami for partying,best time to visit miami and key west,best time to visit florida,things to do in miami,miami weather,when is hurricane season in miami