Following the UK government’s confirmation of domestic travel, we are launching a series of shorter, exciting voyages this summer for Britons looking for the perfect luxury holiday with Cunard, Simon Palethorpe, chairman of Cunard, said in a statement.
It leaves Southampton, for British residents, to tour the UK and will spend most of the summer in the sun. We will announce more details soon.
That’s the only positive from today’s announcement, as Palethorpe noted that the service interruption will continue throughout the summer season, with international ports opening later than expected, with the exception of UK routes. This means more cancellations and some extensions into the fall.
Here are the cancellations and dates:
- Travel on the Queen Victoria is suspended for travel through the 27th. August canceled.
- The current schedule of Queen Mary 2 sailings is available until the 12th. November has been postponed.
- The Queen Elizabeth’s summer Mediterranean cruise season and all sailings through October 11 have been cancelled.
We know how desperate everyone is for a bleak holiday abroad. I am truly sorry for the disappointment this news will cause, Mr Palethorpe said.
READ MORE: Cunard leaves the transatlantic for 2
Cunard’s news comes a day after Walt Disney CEO Bob Chapek dashed hopes for a Disney Cruise Line summer voyage, saying that with any luck, the airline could begin limited service in the fall. So far, Disney has only cancelled the attraction until the end of May.
With the UK announcing earlier this week that domestic cruises will begin on the 17th. May may – and while international cruises remain in limbo – four shipping companies have signaled their intention to take advantage of the opportunity.
P&O Cruises, the UK’s largest cruise line, recently cancelled all international voyages for the summer and announced that it will launch its Ultimate Escape staycation series with coastal cruises in the UK. Details will be announced later this month.
In addition, Princess Cruises recently announced that its ships Regal Princess and Sky Princess will be offering short vacations and one-week trips from Southampton this summer. Cruises are only available to customers in the United Kingdom.
Expedition cruise line Hurtigruten will also offer a range of yachts exclusively in British waters this summer.
Cunard says details will soon be released aboard the Queen Elizabeth and will be available for purchase later this month.
Cunard customers whose voyages were cancelled can choose between a full refund or a future cruise credit (FCC) equal to 25% of the amount already paid. The FCC can be redeemed against any of the flights currently offered or against new flights that Cunard will introduce in the future.
Given the uncertainty over when international cruises will resume – and the possibility that other cruises may have to be cancelled – Cunard has extended the payment deadlines for all cruises and booked cruises through January 1. October 2021 relax. Passengers and their travel companions now have up to 30 days before departure to make the final payment.